Summer food: because you can’t actually spend 12 hours a day loitering in air-conditioned coffee shops. Because laying on the kitchen floor and humming the same NoFX song for hours at a time will get to you at a certain point. Because humans cannot survive on carrot sticks and ice water alone. Because who even has air conditioning?!*
This black bean and corn salad really needs no introduction. I mean, it’s black beans. And corn. And tomatoes. And avocado. And lime juice. And all the other awesome stuff that belongs in a salad like this. If that doesn’t sound AWESOME to you, get outta my kitchen, because this is one of my favorite summer dishes of all time. Plus, if you ate nothing else this summer, I’m pretty sure this stuff would totally keep you alive! At least, I reaaaally hope it does, since that’s my plan.
I am never. Touching. A stove. Again.
- 2 c cooked black beans
- kernels from 2 ears of cooked corn (about 2 cups)
- 3 medium vine-ripened or heirloom tomatoes, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 ripe avocado, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 large handful fresh basil, chiffonaded
- ¼ c fresh lime juice
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ Tbsp dijon mustard, or a splash of balsamic vinaigrette, or ½ teaspoon cumin, optional
- In a large serving bowl, toss together beans, corn, tomato, pepper, cucumber, avocado*, and onion.
- In a small bowl, whisk together basil, lime juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, garlic, pepper, and optional flavoring (if desired).
- Chill at least 1 hour.
- Add extra lime juice and salt to taste.
- Serve cold.
*Norms, that’s who!