Scented with coconut, vanilla, and butter, these thick and chewy coconut oatmeal cookies are seriously swoon-worthy. If you like macaroons, these cookies are for you.
One of my favorite things about Vegan MoFo is how energized it gets me about trying new foods. Like most people, I get in food ruts. I’m not the kind of person who eats spaghetti five nights a week or anything, but on weeks where I’m tearing my hair out at work, going to open studio hours three times a week, running for an hour every day, dealing with all manner of unexpected crises, and still trying to catch a couple of hours of sleep — well, the prospect of trying a new recipe that might fail (or be generally subpar) just sounds too emotionally exhausting. Don’t get me wrong: I sincerely love cooking, running, making art, my job, and pretty much everything else that takes up my time. But when I’m stretched thin, I have a tendency to get myopic about cooking and just stick to recipes I’ve made a hundred times before. Before you know it, I could swear I only know two acceptable ways to cook eggplant and five legitimate cookie recipes!
This is obviously stupid. I mean, eggplant rules! And how many cookies have I eaten in my life that I didn’t like? Truly, friends: not that many. And having spent nearly an hour a day perusing the massive amount of content generated by vegan bloggers this month, it’s been impossible to not be inspired about vegan food. I’ve bookmarked about a billion recipes, and I am so stoked to cook my way through them, one by one.
I actually began this process a couple of weeks ago. When I saw this recipe for oatmeal coconut cookies on Camera Phone Vegan, I went home and made them that same night. What can I say? I’m a sucker for cookies. Their flavor blew my mind, but I wanted a thicker cookie with more oats, so I tweaked the recipe and made them again. Three more times. Just to make sure I wasn’t handing y’all a clunker, obviously! So without further ado, I give you the recipe for the latest cookie to rotate into my Favorite Cookie Repertoire.
- ½ c coconut oil, chilled
- ½ c vegan butter
- 2 c sugar
- 1 Tbsp molasses
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp coconut extract
- ¼ c applesauce
- 2 c flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2½ c rolled oats, pulsed in a food processor to the texture of quick oats
- 1½ c unsweetened shredded coconut
- In a large bowl, cream together oil, butter, sugar, and molasses.
- Beat in extracts and applesauce.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, soda, and salt.
- Beat dry mixture into wet
- Fold in oats and coconut until well incorporated. Dough will be stiff.
- Refrigerate dough for at least 1 hour, or overnight. Dough will be stiff.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Scoop balls of dough by packing an ice cream scoop (or a scant ¼ cup).
- Flatten balls slightly and arrange on cookie sheet, spaced 3″ apart.
- Bake 10-12 minutes, or until cookies are just starting to turn golden.
If any of you have made other folks’ recipes this month and loved them, I’d love to hear about it!