Scented with coconut, vanilla, and butter, these thick and chewy coconut oatmeal cookies are seriously swoon-worthy. If you like macaroons, these cookies are for you.
One of my favorite things about Vegan MoFo is how energized it gets me about trying new foods. Like most people, I get in food ruts. I’m not the kind of person who eats spaghetti five nights a week or anything, but on weeks where I’m tearing my hair out at work, going to open studio hours three times a week, running for an hour every day, dealing with all manner of unexpected crises, and still trying to catch a couple of hours of sleep — well, the prospect of trying a new recipe that might fail (or be generally subpar) just sounds too emotionally exhausting. Don’t get me wrong: I sincerely love cooking, running, making art, my job, and pretty much everything else that takes up my time. But when I’m stretched thin, I have a tendency to get myopic about cooking and just stick to recipes I’ve made a hundred times before. Before you know it, I could swear I only know two acceptable ways to cook eggplant and five legitimate cookie recipes!
This is obviously stupid. I mean, eggplant rules! And how many cookies have I eaten in my life that I didn’t like? Truly, friends: not that many. And having spent nearly an hour a day perusing the massive amount of content generated by vegan bloggers this month, it’s been impossible to not be inspired about vegan food. I’ve bookmarked about a billion recipes, and I am so stoked to cook my way through them, one by one.
I actually began this process a couple of weeks ago. When I saw this recipe for oatmeal coconut cookies on Camera Phone Vegan, I went home and made them that same night. What can I say? I’m a sucker for cookies. Their flavor blew my mind, but I wanted a thicker cookie with more oats, so I tweaked the recipe and made them again. Three more times. Just to make sure I wasn’t handing y’all a clunker, obviously! So without further ado, I give you the recipe for the latest cookie to rotate into my Favorite Cookie Repertoire.
- ½ c coconut oil, chilled
- ½ c vegan butter
- 2 c sugar
- 1 Tbsp molasses
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp coconut extract
- ¼ c applesauce
- 2 c flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2½ c rolled oats, pulsed in a food processor to the texture of quick oats
- 1½ c unsweetened shredded coconut
- In a large bowl, cream together oil, butter, sugar, and molasses.
- Beat in extracts and applesauce.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, soda, and salt.
- Beat dry mixture into wet
- Fold in oats and coconut until well incorporated. Dough will be stiff.
- Refrigerate dough for at least 1 hour, or overnight. Dough will be stiff.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Scoop balls of dough by packing an ice cream scoop (or a scant ¼ cup).
- Flatten balls slightly and arrange on cookie sheet, spaced 3" apart.
- Bake 10-12 minutes, or until cookies are just starting to turn golden.
If any of you have made other folks’ recipes this month and loved them, I’d love to hear about it!
Share this recipe:
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)