These cookies are so good that at least three different countries claim them as their own; although I always knew them as Mexican Wedding Cakes, they’re apparently also known as Russian Tea Cakes and Italian Butter Nuts. But as I’m inclined to say: a rose by any other name….
If you haven’t tried them before, these cookies are very rich and shortbread-like, and though they’re coated in powdered sugar, they aren’t too sweet. I know it looks like they don’t contain enough sugar, and like there isn’t enough liquid to make a good dough, but just trust the recipe.
- 1 c vegan butter, chilled
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 c flour
- 6 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 c walnuts,toasted and coarsely chopped
- powdered sugar for coating
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, cream vegan butter and vanilla.
- Add powdered sugar and flour and work into butter mixture until a stiff dough has formed.
- Fold in walnuts.
- Shape into 1" balls.
- Bake 2″ apart for 10 minutes on an ungreased cookie sheet; allow to cool for several minutes.
- When they’re still slightly warm to the touch, roll in powdered sugar. If they’re too hot, the sugar will melt, but if they’re completely cooled, it won’t stick as nicely.
- Allow to cool fully before storing in an air-tight container.
- Refrigerate until serving. If desired, roll in powdered sugar again right before serving.
Share this recipe:
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on StumbleUpon (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)