On my birthday a few years ago, before I lived in New Haven, my mother brought me to Edge of the Woods Market to peruse their bakeshop’s vegan offerings. Among them were giant tahini chocolate chip cookies. The sesame flavor wasn’t bold, but made for a rich, well-rounded cookie, and I left determined to make my own iteration.
If you’ve ever eaten chocolate halva, you know that chocolate and tahini were meant to be paired. This raw cookie dough, with its deep, nutty sweetness, is reminiscent of that sesame confection, and would be fantastic thrown in a batch of cookie dough ice cream.
Baking, on the other hand, turns this rich dough into soft, dense cookies with a slightly crunchy exterior. The tahini flavor is subtle, but present. As long as you’re not a hardcore tahini-hater, I’d say these would make a perfectly good, if slightly sophisticated, stand-in for chocolate chip cookies.
- 1 c sugar
- ⅔ c tahini
- ¼ c vegan butter
- 1 Tbsp blackstrap molasses
- ¼ c water
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1½ c flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ c vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together sugar, tahini, vegan butter, and molasses.
- Beat in water and vanilla.
- In a small mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Add dry mixture to wet; beat to combine. Dough will be stiff.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Using an ice cream scoop (about a scant ¼ cup), place 6 balls of dough on a cookie sheet.
- Flatten balls slightly.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, or until the edges are golden.
- Let cool on cookie sheet for a couple of minutes before transferring parchment paper to a cooling rack.
P. S. For any longtime readers, I had a similar but different recipe for tahini chocolate chip cookies on this site years ago. This version is “new” and improved!
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on StumbleUpon (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)